Regional Plan Public Submissions
The Draft North Coast Regional Plan has been released by the Government and it contains several references which state that the NSW Department of Industry is mapping coal and coal seam gas resources in the region to “inform future regional and local planning by providing updated information on the location of resources”. The report also states this information “can support expansion of the sector”. More info: CSG summary of references in Draft Plan
The reference to CSG in the plan reflects what we all know: until there is statutory protection that prevents new exploration licences from being issued, our region is always under threat and all the current Government’s good work in buying back the licences could be undone.
We need to send a message to the Government that we shall not rest until we receive the permanent protection that we need. If they want the protests to stop, the Government should make the Northern Rivers gasfield free permanently.
Have your say on the Draft North Coast Regional Plan by making a submission to the NSW Planning Department. Submissions are open until 2 June 2016
SUBMISSION GUIDE – KEY POINTS TO MAKE
- Thank the Baird government for their actions earlier this year in buying back the licences covering our region, but also let them know that we want them to stay ‘on course’ and keep our region gasfield free.
- Ask that all references to the development of the coal seam and unconventional gas industry be removed from the Final Report.
- Call on Rob Stokes NSW Minister for Planning, to honour his commitment to “….ensure that the final plan makes it manifestly clear that coal seam gas resources on the north coast will remain in the ground.”
- Ask that a clear statement prohibiting further exploration or mining of gas be included in the Final Report.
- Make it clear that the Draft Plan reinforces what the people of the Northern Rivers fear: that without statutory protection preventing the issue of new exploration licences, our Region is still under threat. Without such protection, all the current Government’s good work in buying back the licences could be undone.
- Ask the Government to give an undertaking to provide appropriate statutory protection to prevent the issue of new exploration licences.
- Point out that the Draft Plan pays insufficient attention to the development of renewable energy as an alternative to the current reliance on fossil fuel resources.
- Call on the Government to make a commitment to support and encourage the development of the renewable energy sector and to state this clearly in the Final Plan. More info on Renewable Energy: VISION FOR A SUSTAINABLE ENERGY FUTURE FOR THE NORTHERN RIVERS Michael Qualmann
If you don’t wish to compose your own submission, we have prepared a one-page version. Form submission to Draft Regional Plan
FURTHER ACTIONS – CONTACT
- NSW Minister for Planning – Rob Stokes
GPO Box 5341 SYDNEY NSW 2001
P (02)8574 6707
F (02) 9339 5554
We have prepared a draft letter to Minister Stokes to assist you: Form letter to Minister Stokes
- Parliamentary Secretary for the North Coast – Chris Gulaptis
11 Prince Street GRAFTON NSW 2460 P (02) 6643 1244 F (02) 6642 7574 E firstname.lastname@example.org
You can use the key points in the submission guide and/or letter (above) in your correspondence.